Thursday, May 24, 2012

Mary in Ellen's: Lone Tree

"Lone Tree"
water-soluble oil pastels and acrylics
"Lone Tree"
water soluble oil pastels

My trip to Syracuse came to a sudden, early, and precipitous end. The
car made terrible grinding sounds and the ball joint holding the front
driver's side wheel broke. Luckily, it did not happen while going 70
on the highway. While waiting for my husband to arrive after driving
400 miles to rescue me, I sat on my daighter's lawn and drew the tree
across the street in Ellen's mole with water soluble oil pastels.

I wasn't totally happy with the results and last night, I painted over
it with acrylics. (Of course I am never totally happy, but I am
happier.)

We are leaving on yet another trip this morning. This time to camp at
the Pinery in Ontario, Canada. Wish me better luck on this
trip--we're taking my husband's car--mine got hauled to the scrap yard
(I cried.)

The tree I drew/painted is in the bottom photo, but I didn't have it to look at when I painted it.  In the pastels version, there are white spots at the corners where I taped it to the easel, because it was VERY WINDY!

4 comments:

Mike Kline said...

Happy to know you are alright! This tree has a peace feeling to it. I hope your car is repaired soon. Your adventures always share new beauties we may never see any other way. Again we are very glad you are alright! Keep the art flowing!

merrytait said...

Thanks, Mike--I appreciate your kind comments. :-D

The car got towed to the scrap yard--dead. :-( I am very sad.

Moleskine.Exchange said...

Mary! Your car. Yikes.
I too am happy to hear you are unharmed.

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

Thanks, Andrea! I am still without a car! AK--luckily, I have a motorcycle, and have been putting lots of miles on that now. Not so good when it rains or I need to go shopping.