Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Ballookey in Mike's Book

Completing the collaboration that Aya started. She drew the hand holding the cards and I added the things around it. I chose a contrasting color so I could draw right up to her hand and still have the two be distinct.

Ballookey's collaboration with Aya

Working on two things here - drawing chrysanthemums, which I've always avoided, and an idea for a fantasy seahorse. I treated this page as if it were a page in my own sketchbook, so there's a bit of stuff around the edge where I tested some colors.

Seahorse and Chrysanthemum 
 
Another seahorse...

Candy Crushing Seahorse 
 
I have a wooden box that I keep meaning to paint, so I used this page to sketch the artwork for the top of the box.

Sketch of flowers for box top 
 
This is my version of a Qilin, a creature from Chinese mythology that's sort of an equine version of a dragon. They are said to walk through grass without bending a blade, and also they were at one point strongly associated with giraffes. So there's a type of antelope called a Gerenuk that have unbelievably thin legs and long necks. They also have antlers like Qilin are supposed to have. I thought using a Gerenuk as the basis for my Qilin was a good idea.

Ballookey's Qilin 
 
Lastly, one of my friends has an adorable Lalaloopsy doll and I thought it would be fun to draw one. I chose to make a self-portrait in the form of the dolls, and on the next page I sketched a blank body for Andrea to customize.

Ballookey as Lalaloopsy

4 comments:

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

WOW! I really love these, love the collab, the seahorses!! Sweet!

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

I totally adore the Qinlin(Sp).

Moleskine.Exchange said...

Wonderful pages Ballookey, I particularly enjoy the page you treated like your own sketchbook.

This doll you have left for me has me a bit stumped ...

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

I love the way these look totally iridescent!!