Friday, September 19, 2008

Music Machinations, and more


Music Machinations


Breakfast Chimera. Village in Mourning.



King! is a redo of an old drawing (so was Tamed by a Twang). He seems like some tragic Shakespeare character, amidst fluttering tournament pennants.

The middle 2 are about recent personal grief - but even as I try to convey it, the humour is irrepressible - very mixed feelings.

The Machinations are four attempts to draw to chosen pieces of music - a bit contrived perhaps, the drawing soon took on its own life getting further away from immediate reactions to the music.

6 comments:

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

Creative, imaginative, and INTERESTing, stuff to get lost in, studying.

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

Is the music guy on the top right a hobo?

steve said...

Niiice!! Who is the lucky owner of these beauties Johnny? They're so well done.

Ian russell said...

superb collection of pieces, john. I always think reworkings are a sound idea, having been reluctant myself but soon changed my mind after the first revisit.

steve, I hope they're in your book otherwise I'll feel left behind by this fantastic and prolific output! :o)

Andrea said...

music machinations is outstanding, i am loving all the color.

Johnnynorms said...

thanks all,

It could be a hobo Mary - it's quite a nebulous form. I fancied it was planting out poetry seedlings or gathering in a creative crop or both. But I shouldn't say that, the interpretation is pretty open. Must be doing it at night though, since the music was Nocturnal.

they're all yours Steve!

reworkings are idea-lazy for me, but still take quite a while to do, especially as they're always bigger than the original.

i'm in a black & white mood Andrea, but the colour is tentatively poking through!