Friday, September 19, 2008

Music Machinations, and more

Music Machinations

Breakfast Chimera. Village in Mourning.

King! is a redo of an old drawing (so was Tamed by a Twang). He seems like some tragic Shakespeare character, amidst fluttering tournament pennants.

The middle 2 are about recent personal grief - but even as I try to convey it, the humour is irrepressible - very mixed feelings.

The Machinations are four attempts to draw to chosen pieces of music - a bit contrived perhaps, the drawing soon took on its own life getting further away from immediate reactions to the music.


Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

Creative, imaginative, and INTERESTing, stuff to get lost in, studying.

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

Is the music guy on the top right a hobo?

steve said...

Niiice!! Who is the lucky owner of these beauties Johnny? They're so well done.

ian russell said...

superb collection of pieces, john. I always think reworkings are a sound idea, having been reluctant myself but soon changed my mind after the first revisit.

steve, I hope they're in your book otherwise I'll feel left behind by this fantastic and prolific output! :o)

Andrea said...

music machinations is outstanding, i am loving all the color.

Johnnynorms said...

thanks all,

It could be a hobo Mary - it's quite a nebulous form. I fancied it was planting out poetry seedlings or gathering in a creative crop or both. But I shouldn't say that, the interpretation is pretty open. Must be doing it at night though, since the music was Nocturnal.

they're all yours Steve!

reworkings are idea-lazy for me, but still take quite a while to do, especially as they're always bigger than the original.

i'm in a black & white mood Andrea, but the colour is tentatively poking through!