Saturday, August 8, 2009

Aya Rosen - First page

Aya

Hay Everyone!
Just wanted to introduce myself, say hello to everyone and check to see if I got this whole thing right.

My name is Aya, I'm 34 years old (aggg...this is the first time I'm writing this, my birthday was yesterday) I live in Brooklyn, NY with my husband Ned and mostly making art those days. I have a pretty successful Etsy store, and I do a lot of photography with Ned who's a fashion photographer and draw all the time, really, all the time!

I used to do all of my art in sketchbooks till a couple of years back, but I still do a lot of sketchbook drawings and painting and I really like the idea of this awesome collaborative effort.

New Moleskin

I just got the A4 moleskin for the exchange, I did get the watercolor paper, in my opinion the pages could have been a little thicker, but aside of that, I'm pretty happy. I use their 9"X6" watercolor sketchbooks, so it's pretty much the same.
Most of my drawings those days are very small - around 7"X5" or 9"X6", so suddenly, having to fill a whole A4 page feels very scary - it just feels huge! I decided to just plunge in or it'll get too frightening.

So I just finished the first page, half of it was done on a sushi restaurant on union square on Thursday, and half yesterday at Blackbird parlor, my favorite drawings place to draw in the summer (in the winter it gets dark too early and they don't have the best of lights).

new-moleskin

I'm trying to still figure out how this is going to go on, at first I thought that the best thing to do would be to scattered the pages over the whole book, but now I'm thinking about doing consecutive pages. Also, I'm not quite sure if there is a page limit, and if there was any decision about the half filled pages for a collaborative page between two artists?

6 comments:

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

Great lines, delicate coloring in the border, cool expression, super hair. Welcome! :-D

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

Thanks for the photo, too, nice to meetcha!

henniemavis said...

Hi Aya, pleased to meet you! I look forward to sharing art & ideas together :-)

Andrea said...

Wow Aya! What a great first post! I am so happy you introduced yourself to our little group. Your first page is lovely, all of those greys are gorgeous and the quote is so true.

Welcome!

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

I LOVE the birds in the background!!!! :-D

steve said...

Welcome Aya! Good to have you on board. This is quite a remarkable start. Looking forward to more!