Monday, December 21, 2009

Steve's pages in Aya's Moleskine








Finally, I finished working in Aya's Moleskine! Getting the colors and layers of paint down on the pages was the easy part. The not-so-easy part was deciding what to do with them next - what to draw? As some of you might know, I'm a big fan of animals, so I went with that - mammals in this case. I wasn't sure if I should have incorporated words - quotes or song lyrics, so I ended up keeping the drawings as they are, maybe so as not to distract too much from the main subject on each page. Ironically, my favorite page ended up being the last one I did, which has no drawing whatsoever and was made for Mary to work on. I guess I consider that one just as complete as any of the pages. Ok then, it's off to dig my butt from out of the massive blanket of snow that has hit us over the weekend and drop this baby off at the post office. The great thing is, we have a snow day today and tomorrow, so my winter break from teaching has started early - woohoo! Anyhow, here's a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all of you! See ya in 2010!

13 comments:

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

These are totally AWESOME--I love the brillian colors and the gorgeous line drawings! What a fabulous match!!! I love the way you matched the mood and color!

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

Or matched the animal and it's stance or expression with the mood of the color.

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

(I love animals too!) You are right, your picture for me already looks done--I will feel a little reluctant to "damage it" with my art.

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

But you have the scan of it, anyway, right!

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

I'll be looking forward to seeing these in person!

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

I think I see a humpback whale in a stormy sea. I hope I can do it justice.

Mike Kline said...

I agree! Totally awesome. These animals look a little angry as if we humans are destroying their environment or something. Whats up? "We know we humans are good stewards of the Earth." I agree with Mary - I can't wait to see these in person.

ballookey said...

These are just GORGEOUS! The colors are so surprisingly intense. And you were saying how detailed my work is - those animals! This is a fantastic series.

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

These are all utterly stunning in person.

Unknown said...

Hay Steve! wow, those are so beautiful! I can't believe I missed this entry.

My favorite is the fox, cause that's my favorite animal, I have a fox tattoo I got for my first anniversary (Ned got a wolf) and I think next months we are going to get rabbits, so you aced 2 of them!

I love them all!

henniemavis said...

Wow, these blow me away. The backgrounds alone are spectacular. The overlaid animals... so real they could bite me! Gorgeous stuff. Level of detail is jaw-dropping.

Johnnynorms said...

Nice one Steve. I can't decide between the rabbit and fox, both incredible.

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

And they are even better in real life! Woooeee!