Sunday, May 12, 2013

more pages in Mike's book

I'm back from Mexico! I had such an amazing time, we were staying in the most beautiful place I can imagine, visiting Mayan ruines, swimming in the Caribbean sea and in underground mineral water pools. It was really out of this world. I haven't even scanned my mexico drawings yet, but since I got back I've been working on Mike's book, hoping to finish before the 15th.

I stated this on the day before we left, while I was packing my bag:

One of the things I really enjoyed is reading a book about Mayan mythology and their gods, It's really cool. it seems like the Mayan didn't like their gods very much and sort of treated them like a pesky landlord to whom you have to pay homage and scarify people and animals, but that god's as such don't merit respect or devotion.

One of the exception to the rule was  Quatzo-Coatel, who was actually a man who got reborn as a god rather then a born god. 


The other myth I really like is about Ix-Chel, the godess of rainbows, childbirth and all thing women related, who was stuck by lightning and then got to be dead for half of the Mayan year and covered in dragonflies who sang her back to life.

One and a half more page to go, and the book is really to take off!


6 comments:

Lins Artyblobs said...

I like these pages.

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

As usual, wonderful inspiring work, great detail and color. I did one on the Quetzacoalt a while back.

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

Oh, yeah, it was in YOUR book! BUT I've never been down to Mayan country. I love the background on yours! On all of yours. I think you're the queen of backgrounds (AND FOREGROUNDS!)

Andrea said...

Great work! I love Mexico, it has been far too long since I have visited that country.

Last time I went I brought a sketchbook I didn't even take it out of my bag. Lame.

I did spend most of my time in the water tho. ;)

ballookey said...

These are amazing, especially Quatzo-Coatel and Ix Chel. I LOVE the backgrounds and the green and blue for Quatzo-Coatel.

Mike Kline said...

So cool. Great to capture the moments and experiences. Super cool.