Wednesday, April 30, 2008

decorations and blurb

I always hated/feared nice blank books if they were at all fancy. I preferred spiral notebooks or something plain and retiring. If they were fancy, I was afraid my work would deface them, so to speak.

This is my first ever Moleskine. And now I did my first defacement (but not my first sketch.)

I put my name, address, etc on the flyleaf page that says, "In case of loss, please return to," and a little blurb about myself, as suggested (I think) by Ammon.

I'm almost afraid to start my first sketch. I've never worked in a moleskine. If I work in a spiral notebook and goof it up, I can just rip out the page. (Eek!)

6 comments:

Jess said...

I know how you feel!

If you feel like you need to rip out a page, you could scribble it out and write "this sucks, someone please help me!" and then someone could collaborate with you and "fix" it. ;)

I put stickers on the outside of my moleskines to make them easier to identify when they're laying around. It also makes them a little less "fancy" looking. :P

Has anyone seen that book of drawings by Gregory Blackstock, Blackstock's Collections: The Drawings of an Artistic Savant? That book impressed upon me the idea that a collection of even the most humble drawings can end up being totally awesome and interesting. That guy drew some incredibly neat stuff.

milo said...

jess... i love the idea of the "fix it" piece! fun

Moleskine.Exchange said...

A fix it page is a great idea!

Mary, I used to feel the same about the Moleskine, but let me tell you, once you get one filled up, it's an amazing feeling. When I finished my first one I was hooked! I hope this project hooks you!

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

I love the fix it idea.

We do that with poetry. Yeah (can I label all my pages "fix it?" LOL!) (just kidding).

Moleskine.Exchange said...

Mary,

One of my sketches is titled "flaws are charming" because everything I've done in the book thus far has a flaw! EEEK!

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

YAY! I'm in good company.

Not yay for your flaws, but yay that I'm not the only one. (Phew).