Thursday, May 20, 2010

Another for Willie: "Lonely Street, 3AM"


Here is another for Willie's "pocket." I've made a number of these, but I wanted to post some with companion poems and haven't had time. This one, "Lonely Street, 3 AM," is done in gouache on arches 140 lb watercolor paper. It's from the homeless series I'm working on. The paper is is bigger than the size of my scanner. so it's slightly blurred because it was lifted off the platen and also, slightly less purple than it really is. I don't know why the scanner didn't pick up the purple.

If you click on the painting, it will enlarge significantly.

4 comments:

ballookey said...

I know it's a small thing, but I love that gap between the buildings in the middle. I feel like I could just turn that corner and go see what's there.

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

Thanks for noticing! :-D

I worked on gradations to produce light coming from there--I wanted it to be inviting and a bit mysterious, but I am not sure why. I tried to puzzle it out--not so much from an artistic point of view, but more of a story or psychological point of view--but didn't come up with any answer other than that I wanted it that way.

Thanks! :-D

Mike Kline said...

The view is wonderful. Thanks for seeing the "Invisible Class." We tend to naturally avoid them and yet they are precious people as well.

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

Thanks Mike!

The Homeless R US!

(At least I was was homeless once, which is probably why I'm interested.)

"There but for fortune, go you or I . . ."