Monday, January 17, 2011

Willie's Book

Willie's book is finally on it's way to Michelle tomorrow! I had meant to photograph it last weekend, but we partied too much and the daylight got away from me and before I knew it another week had gone by, so I went ahead and photographed under my office lights just to get it done.

Why is the first page so different from the others? Because I completely wrecked the watercolor painting around the moon. Oooh boy. I made a wrong turn, and then I thought hey, I'll keep driving and eventually I'll figure out where I am. But no, I ended up in a heap of watercolor mud. So black spray paint to the rescue. More or less. And a brand new practice watercolor book so I can screw up where no one has to see it... ;)









I've been playing around with the sketch of this owl after I painted this and I think I'll make some stickers from the final piece. Folks in the round three exchange may see a shiny new version of this again in their pockets:



And the completed collaboration with Mike. Because I like bugs.

11 comments:

henniemavis said...

Wow, now that's a spread of work! I especially love the first owl (one with flowers & spiders). Love his (her?) demure posture! Roach's revenge is also fun :-)

Yeah, there was a jag of watercolor paper books that went thru... but lately, I have only reg-papered Moles. I have been using acrylics for those. Love the no-bleed thru factor of acrylic, tho I prefer the way WC handles.

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

WOW! These are great! I particularly like that first owl!

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

I love how you rescued that moon! I'll have to remember the black spray paint trick next time I mess up! It worked great!

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

The more I ook at each of these, the more complex I find them to be--and interesting--and thought-provoking and curious.! Nice selection of work.

ballookey said...

Thanks guys! :)

@Heidi: I go back & forth on WC vs. Acrylics. I think my biggest problem by far is not having enough time to get really confidant with either, but I keep trying. I'm really going to put the practice book to work and try to regain some of my composure with WC. I have some work I did in school, and now I wonder how the heck I did it. :(

steve said...

All of these are just amazing! Willie is a lucky guy to have these !

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

I've was never great at water colors, but am finding myself really rusty after only a relatively short hiatus!

merrytait said...

I love your beetle! :-D

ballookey said...

Aww, thanks Steve. You're very kind. :)

Something Different said...

Wow! That first owl is fantastic! I really like it. I love owls.

Mike Kline said...

Roach's revenge is awesome! I love it. :) Cracked me up! Wonderful spread and so nice to see all the work. Goodness! Gracious! Wow!