Friday, July 22, 2011

Martisco Underpass, first piece in Andrea's Mole.


Martisco Underpass, by Mary Stebbins Taitt, in Andrea's Mole. Click image to view larger.

This is a somewhat strange and fanciful interpretation of the abandoned Martisco underpass. It is done in nail polish, Sakura Gelly Roll Glaze pens, and various metallics. I'd never used the glaze pens before--you probably all know how they produce a textured surface similar to embossing.

I used up a whole pen when I was only halfway through--A brand new Gellyroll Glaze pen, which I had used ONLY for this piece. Here's the dead pen and the unfinished picture:

3 comments:

Something Different said...

This is gorg!

Also, I love the dead pen pic. I used to have a pen graveyard at my old job. On the wall behind the door. My boss thought it was super crazy, so I kept it up until that facility closed down. So this is right up my alley.

roma said...

Definitely gorgeous! How'd you incorporate the nail polish??

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

I put the nail polish down first--danger--it is SMELLY and bad for use--use in well-ventilated space. The nail polish are the da-glo colors. (Not found in any real underpass I know of). I got the idea from Hennie Mavis, in our last round.Then I colored over them with the glaze pens/

Andrea, I posted the dead pen JUST FOR YOU! :-D <3