Wednesday, September 23, 2009

My first collaboration

Steve's Moleskine came through my mail slot this afternoon and I
eagerly opened it! WOW! As usual, it was way better in real life! I
so enjoyed it. I looked at his "half" picture and was going to make
monsters out of it, like his first picture, sort of, but it looked
like the badlands to me, the canyonlands.

So that's what I made: Canyonlands. I was going to put a vulture in
but I loved Steve's crows, so I made some more of them. (Or tried to.)

I used a kid's set of water colors, because all mine are at the Retreat center.

The top one is Steve's "half" of the collaboration. The bottom one shows part of his previous page.

I don't know how long it will be there, but it is featured on Molsekiner's at the moment. Right sidebar.

9 comments:

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

I have a question--do you leave collaborations unsigned?

henniemavis said...

Mary, what a nice collab -- it makes a wonderful spread!

Your question makes me realize that I'm inconsistent about signing my own sketchbook stuff, nevermind collabs, which is new to me. Oops. Something to think about.

steve said...

Ok, i'm officially blown away Mary! I knew you would do something amazing with my squiggly lines. WOW!

Unknown said...

wow! this work so well together. I'm so impressed by the way yo manage to tie this double spread together.

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

Thanks so much, Hennie, Steve and Aya (How do you pronounce your name, Aya?) I really had fun with this! :-)

Anyone got an official proclamation/policy protocol statement about how to handle the signing of collabs?

ballookey said...

The finished piece is really cool - amazing that it came from two people working together.

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

Thanks, Balookey!

This was so much FUN! I hope all the collaborations are fun like that! :-D

Moleskine.Exchange said...

This is great! I am amazed it is done by two different artists ... you two work wonders together.

I say sign the collabs however you want to.

In general I hate signing the front of my work. I know I shouldn't hate it ... but every mark of my work is generally there for a reason (at least in my mind), so it kind of muddles up the work to me.

I know some folks like to have the work signed so I try to do that.

Cheers!

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

I guess since this is Steve's book, I should ask him how he ants to handle it--Steve--would you like me to sign it and you sign above when you get it, or, how would you like to do it?