Sunday, September 27, 2009

Tweet Collaboration

Here's my contribution to Mike's collaboration page.

Tweet collaboration

Here's the original before I got my grubby hands all over it.

Tweet

In looking at the original, I really thought Mike's figure seemed to be trying to drown something out by clamping the headphones to his head. I took the graphic on his t-shirt as a clue, and thought the character might feel harassed by a cacophony of tweets. I chose to surround him by those tweeting birds, and went with a really typical tattoo-style blue sparrow. My thought was that while they're cute, they're really common and trite. I thought this character might be trying to escape the noisy assault of insipid distractions. And lastly, I really filled the background with a wall of color to make the contrast between the tweeting birds and Mike's character really stark, to highlight the separation this character is trying to achieve with his headphones.

So that's my thought process - I swear it was the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth - the way I saw it. ;)

8 comments:

milo said...

yah! so clever...

Unknown said...

you made me laugh out loud so hard I woke up my husband...

This is awesome!

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

What a total RIOT! :-D

Very creative, wonderful thought process! :-D Glad you shared it! Perfect!

Mike Kline said...

This is absolutely awesome! Wonderful - even perfect!

henniemavis said...

This is enjoyable on so many levels. Thanks for sharing your thought rationale, as well as the art!

ballookey said...

Hey, thanks all for the kind comments! Glad everyone likes it. I'm lucky to get the day off today, so I'm working hard on the next four pages - can't wait to see how they come out.

Moleskine.Exchange said...

Too many tweets! Loving the color!

I am SO happy we are doing these collab pages.

Mike Kline said...

The collab pages are rather sweet...