Thursday, October 8, 2009

nature faces invade ellen's book






I guess you could call these prints collaborative works, since it was my wife Kris who made all the stamps (used in these prints) herself. I got the idea late one night while drifting off to sleep, and fortunately didn't forget it the next day. Don't you hate when that happens? Anyhow, I call 'em "Nature Faces" because most of the stamps have something to do with things you find in nature - particularly in the woods of North America. None of them were planned out - I just started stamping, usually, first with what looked like could have been a pair of eyes, then I got into a zone of sorts. They remind me of something from a Miyazaki film - "Princess Mononoke" or "Spirited Away" come to mind. All I know is that they were lots of fun to create and all of these are in Ellen's big, A4 sketchbook Moleskine.


10 comments:

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

How fun and how interesting! I'd love to try that too! Very nice images, definitely nature sprites or something. Cool.

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

I have your mole in Harbor Springs, but have been too busy to do anything with it. (WAHN!) I'm at a writing retreat and we've been kept pretty busy.

Unknown said...

wow! those are lovely, I love how organic they feel, like finding the faces in a tree trunk.

ballookey said...

Very cool!

Andrea said...

Very creative Steve!

Did you ever watch the X-Files? I feel like some of the mosters and creatures you create would fit right in on that show!

Aya hit the nail on the head, these could be faces in and on trees. If I ever saw one I would surely pee my pants instantly.

henniemavis said...

These are fabulous! Thanks for showing the stamps, too. The first 3 faces especially brought to mind Maurice Sendaks's monsters in Where the Wild Things Are... so when I then read the comments here about seeing faces in tree trunks, I felt substantiated.

Though I'm tempted to comment next on Andrea's bladder control issue, I'll keep that to a private forum ;-)

steve said...

Thanks guys! Yeah, Andrea, I'm with you there - with regards to losing it in my pants, hahaha! In the meantime, happy weekend all!

Johnnynorms said...

These are really bewitching Steve, and I like seeing the print blocks too.

twchrist said...

Wow, super creative and well done!

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

Should I use the last of these as a collaborative piece or skip doing a collaboration for this month?