Saturday, May 10, 2008

More moles

Oops, these are out of order.

Last night, I painted the self portrait, LOL! I was looking through one of my art books for a Renaissance painting that would resonate for me, but when I saw THIS, I gave up on the Renaissance idea. I HAD to do THIS one (see my first spontaneous mole). This after Francesco Clemente's Self Portrait; the first. I had it in a book, but the one on line is much better than the book, and wish I were looking at THAT one when I made mine. Of course his is bigger than a yard by yard or meter by meter, and mine's in a mole, to say nothing of the fact that he's a much better artist! LOL! But hey, had to do it. :-D

The one I had painted Wednesday or Thursday (been so busy don't even know which day!) were yellow tulips in my yard. They are green, yellow and cream, but mine didn't work out well. I was trying to do a sort of Zen or Chinese brush painting (which of course I know nothing about, at this point!). So I tried again. The second one still isn't good, but it's a little better. I am going to attach it.

so--now I am almost done with the first round (in fact, I may have painted one too many pages, not sure.) But I'm not quite done yet. When my second yellow tulip dries, I am going to paint something on the back of it--hope I don't mess it up!

Which reminds me, the Self portrait after Francesco Clemente is done in gouache, my first ever--I just went out and bought some yesterday, rode my bike to the art store (Rainy Day)--took 25 minutes each way. BUT--here's the rub--I painted the picture last night and it's still not dry. THAT's why I photographed it rather than scanning it--hope it dries soon, or how will I be able to mail the mole?


OH, and, I forgot to buy black, DUH, which was the whole reason I got some gouache--but I don't normally use it when painting with water colors, so it didn't occur to me to get any.

3 comments:

milo said...

ooh those flowers are simply delightful

Ian russell said...

The tulips work for me! and I love the simplicity.

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

Thanks! :-D

YAY! The tulips actually have green on the petals, unusual for around here, where most tulips are one color.

I painted a bunch more of them, just for practice. Every day, they look a little different.

I finished my mole and am ready to package it up, except that white gouache still is tacky! After more than 24 hours.